![]() |
| The Supreme Court of the United States is the Most Powerful Court in the World |
Before watching Part I of this video series, I knew the Supreme Court was an important institution, but I did not realize just how much power it holds. One of the first things that stood out to me was the idea that it is considered the most powerful judicial body on Earth. I was also surprised to learn that all of its decisions are made in private, which gives the Court a level of independence that I had not fully understood before.
The biggest takeaway from this video was the importance of the vetting process for Supreme Court nominees. Justices are appointed by a president, but their influence continues long after that president has left office. Because of the lasting impact of their decisions, it became clear to me why the selection process receives so much public attention and scrutiny.
![]() |
| Chief Justice John Marshall |
Another topic that caught my attention was the history of the Court. I learned that John Marshall, the first Chief Justice, established the principle of judicial review through Marbury v. Madison. This gave the Court the authority to strike down laws and actions that violate the Constitution. I did not previously know that the Court had the power to overturn unconstitutional acts, so this was one of the most educational parts of the video for me.
I was also surprised to learn about the Court's role in the Dred Scott decision under Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney. The video described this ruling as a major self-inflicted wound for the Court, and I learned that the 14th Amendment later overturned that decision. This example showed me that Supreme Court rulings can have long-lasting consequences, both positive and negative.
Another interesting fact was how selective the Court is. It receives roughly 7,000 cases each year but hears only about 100. I also learned that cases must move through multiple lower courts before reaching the Supreme Court.
One of the most positive things I learned was that the justices maintain a tradition of civility. Despite disagreements, they shake hands before hearing every case. That small gesture changed how I view the Court and reminded me that respect can exist even in the midst of significant differences of opinion.
AI DISCLOSURE: This post was created in collaboration with Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video about the history of the Supreme Court. In addition to facts that I learned, I emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I then asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After review, I then added links to related resources, as well as appropriate images and captions.
WATCH THE VIDEO NOW


No comments:
Post a Comment